Sunday, May 21, 2006

Perspective

My sister-in-law Carrie is in the hospital. She is 24 weeks pregnant and, in her words, "has a crappy cervix" so the baby wants to come out. It's called incompetent cervix - you would think that a doctor might come up with a catchier name for the problem. Something less.. i don't know... insulting to a cervix. She had a surgery to essentially stich her closed (a cerclage)- so now we are waiting and hoping and keeping positive thoughts. Hoping things will hold on for as many more weeks as possible to get her to a healthy week.

She is going to be in the hospital until the baby is born. So.. potentially several months. I can't even begin to imagine what it is like for her and Andy, my brother-in-law. It is the kind of thing there is nothing to say - it's that awful - like finding out your friend has cancer.

Perspective.

My problems are so insignificant when I think about what Carrie and her husband Andy are going through. I'm almost embarassed that I would even consider ever feeling sorry for myself because i'm on crutches and had my hip fixed. It was my choice. Sometimes life takes these turns that seem almost too horrible to be true - and it happens to everyone which makes it even more horrendous.

Rooting for my little nephew to hang in there for as long as he can. If he has any of his mother's determination he'll make it to full term. Hoping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home