Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Here comes the rain

It's supposed to rain for the next two weeks. Our garden is completely flooded.
Last week was crazy.
My 1 month post-op appointment was last Tuesday. My new niece, Stella Wynn, was born on Wednesday. I had ambitions of posting my progress immediately after the appointment, but clearly I'm long overdue. Had a busy week and weekend with my family. Work is nuts too. Playing catch up.

Here is the run down:
  • Things are healing well.
  • Crutches with more weight bearing for 5 more weeks (until June 6). The PT taught me how to "walk" more normally with crutches. Before I was putting the crutches forward, then stepping with my left (operated) leg and then my right (good) leg. Now I walk a normal gait, but bring my crutches forward at the same time I bring my left leg forward. I'm can almost keep up with people now, and my leg muscle is slowly returning.
  • I can do more rigorous PT - getting in a pool to walk laps and riding a bike with no resistance. Any upper body workout that I want to do is okay. Also, I have new home PT to do including bridges!, leg extensions and a few others.
  • I have no more restrictions on movement (that 90 degree rule was driving me batty). So, basically my life has dramatically improved in the past week. I'm like a completely normal Becky - working long days, driving myself around, going to the gym after work, cooking dinner - only with crutches.
  • The PT said that at this point there is nothing I could do to bend the screws, and if I accidently stepped full weight on the joint it would be okay.
  • Scheduled my RPAO for November 6. Am I crazy to go through this again so soon? I really just want to get it over with and move on with my life-- have a few babies, etc..

My disappointment is the time left on crutches. I was told initially 6 - 10 weeks - I was really hoping I'd be closer to the 6 week end of things - not the 10. Oh well - it is what it is. I guess 9 weeks isn't so bad. Staying positive. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

So, since getting the go ahead I've been to the gym nearly every night. I alternate pool and bike/upper body. It feels good to walk in the pool - forwards, backwards, side steps- and the bike was weird at first, but now I can do a full rotation without pinching in the front of my hip. Doesn't exactly get my endorphins going though. God I miss them.

Apparently being on crutches is a sign that everyone is your friend, and everyone is allowed to ask questions. I don't mind. Maybe I do just a little somtimes. Especially if it's a creepy weird guy who won't let you just finish a workout because his grandmother had hip surgery or something, and she's doing fine.

Why does everyone think they can compare me to their grandmother, or elderly friend who had a hip replacement. How many times do I have to say "yes, it's the same joint, but a VERY different surgery."

My scar is healing to a thin red line. Looks like someone traced the line of my undies with a red pen. Why can't all scars be so nice? My knee scar looks like someone cut me with a hatchet.

My only pain is the muscle in front of my hip - hip flexor maybe? It doesn't really work yet, so I get stiffness and pain when I try to use it. Like putting on pants or socks. I can move my leg forward without a problem, it's lifting up that doesn't work. I hope it goes away. I really hope that it isn't my bone pinching, because during my surgery my femur had to be shaved to fit the adjusted socket. I hope he shaved enough. I'm sure he did. He is a fantastic surgeon.

I've been tylenol free for over a week.

My cat Saranac is currently climbing up my back. She's a funny, somewhat odd creature.

Tonight at the gym I went into the Sauna after the pool. Felt great - but I nearly got a 3rd degree burn from my crutches afterwards. Warning - do not touch the metal on your crutches if they have spent 15 minutes in a 105 degree room.

1 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate it when people ask about my upcoming surgery and then tell me about their grandmother who had her hip replaced too. I got tired of explaining that a PAO is not a hip replacement. I've found the term "hip socket reconstruction" seems to silence some! Good Luck with everything!

Heather
RPAO 6/1/06

 

Post a Comment

<< Home