Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Recovering from surgery

So I haven't posted in months - life gets busy and I forgot about my blog.
Had surgery on April 3rd to correct for my retreiver-like hips. I had a perioacetabular osteotomy (PAO) on my left hip. My doc was Dr. Michael Millis @ Children's Hospital in Boston. By all accounts one of the best surgeons in the country for this procedure. So, now am i 1/8 retreiver?

Surgery went well according to the doc. I was speedy to get out of bed according to the nurses and physical therapists. I'm feeling pretty positive and am at home now hanging out on the couch with my cats and husband, hence my writing in the blog because what else am I supposed to do.

We bought a recliner yesterday that we're getting today and I'm excited because it doubles my seating options.

The pain is terrible. I won't lie. I really hope it goes away because I've been on morphine now for over a week and at some point I'm going to run out and I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate the pain. It's a weird pain - not where I thought I would have pain. It's the worst on the back of my leg toward the outside directly below my butt.

I can't bend past 90 degrees but keep forgetting because there is nothing magical stopping me from doing that so I hope that I haven't totally screwed up the procedure. I can only put 1/6 of my weight on the operated leg but occasionally I lose my balance and put more than that on the leg and it hurts like hell and I also hope I haven't done anything bad to screw up the procedure.

I have a slew of fun activities lined up for me: magazines and books to read, silly games to play, a nintendo game box, cross stitch patterns to work on, t.v. to watch - but I seem to be spending most of my time on the laptop and sleeping. I'm gaining more and more energy every day which I guess is a good thing.

So far the worst part (besides the terrible pain and being confined to a couch and loss of appetite and total dependence on another human being) has been the constipation. My husband had to give me two suppositories- poor guy. Hopefully they will pull through for me and he won't have to do that again.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home